ALLEN PARK: Teen is killed in pedestrian accident
http://www.thenewsherald.com/articles/2008/10/12/news/doc48ef9a4b281ae650269342.txt#blogcommentsI was there the night it happened. I walked over to see what all the fuss was about and was sick to my stomach with what I saw. The police taking pictures, his shoes in the middle of the street, the pool of blood.. all of this a sight I wish I never saw. Neighbors were talking.. all saying the boy was young, but no one knowing who it was.
I found out the next day, that the boy was a junior at Allen Park High School. I didn't know him, but from the stories I've heard, he seemed like such a nice boy. One of his favorite activities was to walk around Allen Park. To think that this innocent boy was just out taking a walk, enjoying his life, and in an instant, that life was taking away.
I was running a tennis tournament in Allen Park the day after it happened and went inside the high school to use the restroom. It was so sad, yet truly remarkable, seeing how the students came together in tragedy. They had the counselors from both the middle school and high school in the media center with cookies to help the students with their grief. Classrooms were half empty, as students spent their day with the counselors. They made a written memorial mural and many student organizations plans to help his mom, a single parent, with the funeral expenses.
Being a citizen of Allen Park, I know what this city is all about and now is the time to step it up and do something about this. Many drivers do it.. take that turn so fast, just keeping with the flow from Allen, not even thinking about pedestrians. This was not the first time someone has been struck at that intersection. How many more innocent lives have to be taken to realize that something has to be done?
My thoughts and prayers go out to Vince and his family and friends. R.I.P 10-8-08

2 comments:
I honestly still can't believe that happened. It's so sad for the family and friends who were close to him. It just shows how precious each and every one of our lives are.
This is a sad moment and i feel that you are right in that fact that something needs to be done. Its tough to do much, but my father used to tell me that in cases as such, you must start small with yourself and teach others with your actions.
Post a Comment