Monday, October 27, 2008

Have We Forgotten?

"Have you forgotten, how it felt that day?
To see your homeland under fire
And her people blown away
Have you forgotten, when those towers fell
We had neighbors still inside goin through a livin hell
And you say we shouldn't worry bout Bin Laden
Have you forgotten?"

In Darryl Worley's song "Have You Forgotten?, he expresses America's disbelief to all of the terrorist attacks, including the Pentagon and the World Trade Centers. He starts his song with the lyric: "I hear people sayin'. We Don't need this war." Hearing people question the war makes him wonder if we have forgotten how we felt and says that he feels there's some things worth fighting for.

Have we forgotten? I was in my sixth grade Spanish class when my teacher, red-eyed and sniffling, walked in. Without a word to the class, she pulled out her cell phone. "My best friend was on that plane," she sobbed. Completely confused, the class began whispering to each other wondering what was going on when the principal came over the loud speaker explaining that the World Trade Centers were the target of a terrorist attack. The entire class was filled with shock as we went on to have a moment of silence. Since my class was only composed of sixth graders, we were not allowed to watch the news. A substitute was called in for my class while my teacher went home to be with her family and friends.

The school day was almost over when we were told the news, but the small amount of time we had left in the building dragged on. I immediately turned on the news when I arrived home wanting more explanation to why our nation was under attack. The footage shown struck me with horror. Citizens running to safety; firemen trying to clear the area; the towers crumbling to the ground-- all of this a sight I will never forget.

No comments: